Dr. Stefanie Green spent 10 years in general practice and another 12 years working exclusively in maternity and newborn care. She changed her focus in 2016 and now spends the great majority of her clinical time working in assisted dying. Based in Victoria BC, Dr. Green is the co-founder and current President of the Canadian Association of MAiD Assessors and Providers (CAMAP). She is medical advisor to the BC Ministry of Health MAiD oversight committee and moderator of CAMAP’s national online forum.
Comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness.
MAiD is Legal
MAiD is Free
MAiD is Available
- You must be an ADULT (this is defined as being 18 years of age or older)
- You must be CANADIAN- Actually the law is that you must be eligible to receive government-funded health care services, so residents, landed immigrants, refugees, and Canadian citizens all qualify. At this time, non-Canadians are not able to access MAiD in Canada, even if paying privately.
- You must be suffering from a GRIEVOUS and IRREMEDIABLE condition. This is further defined as a serious illness, disease or disability that puts you in an advanced state of decline that cannot be reversed, and that causes intolerable suffering that cannot be relieved by any means acceptable to you.
- Your request for MAiD must be made VOLUNTARILY, free from pressure from anyone else.
- You must be CAPABLE of making your own health care decisions- this means your request for MAiD can only happen after you have a clear understanding of your medical condition and have been informed of other treatment options. You must be capable of making this decision both at the time of the request and be able to give consent at the time of the procedure itself, except in certain, limited circumstances.
Meet Dr. Stefanie Green
Dr. Green enjoys speaking about MAiD to the public, to health care communities and to a wide range of audiences locally, nationally and internationally. She is clinical faculty at UBC and UVic, and she is the author of an upcoming book This Is Assisted Dying – a doctor’s story of empowering patients at the end of life, about her first year providing assisted dying in Canada. For more information about Dr. Green, see StefanieGreen.com